Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An Apology

Dear Readers,

I owe you an apology.  

It seems that in my zeal to share with you the bounty of beautiful images I find on the Internet, I mistakenly committed one of the most common and insidious errors of a new blogger: failure to attribute material to the original source.  Not realizing that just because I could copy and paste an image into my post and make it beautiful didn't mean I should do something like that, I did it over and over again - and eventually I was called to task by my readers.  Had I saved any information about where I originally retrieved these pictures, it would be no great effort to simply add tags to each photo and give credit where credit is due.  Unfortunately, I did not keep records of the origins of the images (mostly I really did just copy and paste) and therefore am unable to fairly rectify the situation.  So to you, dear readers, I offer an apology and a compromise.  Starting today, all pictures that are not mine will be labeled as such, and if you recognize the location of a given picture, please let me know and I will adjust the caption accordingly.  Please know that I was not intentionally misrepresenting myself and meant no ill will towards those whose images I 'borrowed'.  It was a stupid mistake made by a green blogger and one that has humbled me tremendously.  

Thank you so much for allowing me to share my life with you and in turn, sharing yours with me.

Amanda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do have to be careful using photos from the Web. Photographers own the copyright to their photos, unless they specifically assign it elsewhere or license it somewhere under something like the specific Creative Commons license that allows free usage.
Same thing goes for writing.
So, it's best to use your own photos, only use photos where you have specific permission to do so, or use photos are clearly licensed for free use. Otherwise, you could find an invoice in your inbox billing you for using the photos. I've even heard of a few cases where sites have ended up taken down over unauthorized photo usage.

That's why I usually take my own photos :)

http://www.midwestguest.com