Thursday, November 21, 2013

Everything's a Competition

A lot of people in life like to throw around the phrase "it's not a competition", and while I understand the impulse to reassure those who so clearly might not win, in my opinion, if something isn't a competition - it should be.  I LOVE games!!  I am so much more motivated to do something if I know I'm competing against others (or myself - high score much?).  Maybe I'm a product of the gamification generation, but turn it into a game and even the worst chore becomes fun.

So in that vein, my fitness group and I are undergoing a 'friendly' competition to win a $15 gift certificate to a store of our choice and mad bragging rights.  The competition involves maintaining a food/exercise diary, trying at least one new fruit/veggie, trying a new fitness activity , and making a top 10 workout songlist.

I know what you're thinking. Amanda, that sounds pretty easy, where's the competition in that? Well it would be easy, if being fit were already a part of our lifestyles.  If Thanksgiving wasn't just around the corner. If I didn't just have two teeth removed.  But changing your life - I mean really changing it in spite of all of the other stuff that comes up and makes you want to revert to old patterns and hold tight to your meat and potatoes diet until death do you part like the dysfucntional lovers you are - is hands down the hardest thing you will ever do.  [NOTE: having never been married or had children I'm not sure how qualified I am to make that statment, but meh.]

So we're trying, and who knows if any of us will make it, but I know one thing for sure - I will enjoy the ride as much as I possibly can.  Because otherwise, what's the point?


Top 10 workout songs

1. Starts With Me - Tim Timmons

2. This is the New Year - A Great Big World

3. Numb - Usher

4. Applause - Lady Gaga

5. Fist Pump Jump Jump  - Ying Yang Twins feat. Greg Tecoz

6. Remember the Name - Fort Minor

7. All Night - Icona Pop

8. Indestructible - Robyn

9. My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark - Fall Out Boy

10. Feelin' Alright - Joe Cocker



No comments: